24.3.08

When did an f1 car last have a proper manual gearbox?

May be...

  • I didn't know that they didn't introduce the semi-automatic til they made the new car... I was sure they'd made the update for the beginning of the season... and I don't think I was going off your research really... I just noticed that you hadn't found the Forti, which I would've suggested anyway! Report It
  • Shame you didn't give me time to work off dan's answer like he worked off mine...I'd have found the Forti FG01-95B of 1996 for you, which I now believe is the correct answer. Report It
  • slipped my mind, i know ferrari were first to try a semi auto in 1989.......
  • Somewhat unsurprisingly the answer is Minardi in 1994. It was their interim car for the first five races of the season, based on the previous year's car.

    The last manual
    Ferrari was the F187/88C of 1988
    McLaren was the MP4/5B of 1990
    Williams was the FW13B of 1990
    Lotus was the 102D of 1992
    Jordan was the 191 of 1991
    Ligier was the JS33B of 1990
    Tyrrell was the 021 of 1993
    Benetton was the B191B of 1992
    Footwork was the FA12C of 1991
    March was the CG911B of 1992
    Dallara was the 191 of 1991
    Minardi was the M193B of 1994


    Sauber have always used a (semi) auto since their debut in 1993, I assume other teams which started later also have done so.
  • Somewhat surprisingly Rosbif you're wrong there, because you've failed to mention that in 1995!!! the new Forti team ran their car with a manual gearbox!! The FG-01 (which really was an updated version of the 1992 Fondmetal car!!) had a manual gearbox, and was unsuccessfully trialed with a semi-automatic, which was scrapped until 1996. To think that in 1995 there was still a car with a manual gearbox, after the massive technological advances in the previous years, is mind-boggling!!!

    Sorry Rosbif, but the rest of your answer is brilliantly researched as always!!
  • By the look of it the force india and aguri teams are probably running on manuals. Theres no other way to explain how slow they are.
  • I've nothing to add to what Rosbif has stated.

    Personally, I would get rid of electronic gearboxes along with traction-control, to show who can drive a proper race-car with a gearlever and a clutch.

    I forget which racing driver said, "If I wanted an automatic, I'd buy a washing machine".
  • No comments: