16.5.08

So many people to this day blame Sterling Marlin for Dale Sr.'s accident, does anyone here feel that way?

May be...

  • No. Only those of us who THINK we know everything about the sport would have such an opinion. Dale, as well as every other driver(not just NASCAR), knows that it's a calculated risk every time they strap in. Of the real professionals(actual drivers), I can't imagine there are any who would think Marlin deserves any blame. Furthermore, had God appeared before Dale before that race and said "Dale, you will die if you run this race today", I firmly believe Dale's reply would have been something in the neighborhood of "Well, I guess I'll see you tonight then." As a fan I never liked the guy. But, I'm fully aware of how much better the sport is because of him, and I do miss his presence. As a man, he has every bit of respect I can muster. One heck of a good guy. R.I.P. Dale.
  • Not at all.
  • No way. I felt awful for Sterling Marlin he went threw hell for what happened to Sr. & he is a great guy as well. As sad and tragic as it was Dale's death was a freak-accident.

    RIP Senior.
  • Dale was trying to block Sterling so it was his own actions that put him into the wall, nobody elses
  • This question has been asked a few times before. The majority of the people felt it was just racing. But, believe it or not, I do remember reading a few responses from people that felt Marlin was to blame.

    I wish it hadn't of happened. But, I do feel it was just a racing incident. He had hit the wall many times before with little consequence. This time should have been no different.
  • everytime something that terrible happens, people feel the need to place blame.

    anybody who is logical about the situation knows that it was just racing
    Dale Sr. would say that exact thing
  • Okay, I'm curious. Several people on here blame Dale for blocking. At the time of the wreck they were 3 wide with Dale in the middle, so who exactly was he blocking? Sterling Marlin had nothing to do with the wreck. He was just there. Go back and take a look at the replays. Earnhardt has a nose out front when they are 3 wide. Rusty comes up and gets under Earnhardt's bumper but no contact. Earnhardt's car wiggles just a little bit, bounces off Marlin's car and the wreck starts. Noone to blame but restrictor plates for bunching the cars up that close.
  • Dale didn't die because he wrecked........he died because he didn't have his belts tightened, he had them loosened up so he could lean forward to get a better view of what was going on behind him. IF he had his belts tight......he probably would still be racing today.

    It was his own fault! He knew the risks he was taking! He was a racer who died doing what he loved!!!
  • No, it was a racing deal. It could've happened with anybody behind Earnhardt.
  • There were death threats by some crazy fans but Teresa told Marlin that she was sure it was an accident and that Dale would say "that's racing" Its not like Sr had never moved any one out of the way before
  • nope, never did.

    btw, i'm amazed - a question involving an accident and an earnhardt, and no one's found it necessary to blame or bash kyle, nor to compare him to sr!!! we'll see if the sanity continues - from the radical fringes of both the jr nation and rowdy's world.
    ;-)

    --kyle's #1 fan
    (and proud citizen of rowdy's world)
  • Not at all. If anything it was more Dale Sr's fault for trying to block. That is about the ONLY time I ever saw him do that. Normally he was always driving FOR the win, not to try and protect the win for somebody else. I've also heard Kenny Schrader's name thrown around some but that is just stupid to blame those guys for such a tragic accident. If anything, the belts, harnesses and accepted safety equipment of the time is the real reason he died. R.I.P. Dale, you have made NASCAR a much safer place because of your sacrifice.
    3 STR8 N 08!!!
  • NO WAY. It was just good old fashioned racing. I'm still not over the loss of NASCAR's greatest driver, but things like that have happened before, and I'm not too sure it won't happen again. No blame should be placed on Sterling Marlin or anybody else. That's Racin.....................
  • It was a "Racing Accident". Even Dale Sr. would tell you that if he could. He only has himself to blame, if blame must be placed. He died doing what he loved most, may he rest in peace.

    Go Jr.>>>>
  • there is nobody to blame.In racing accidents happen and this was a racing accident.The drivers know the risk everytime they go out to the track.
    To blame anyone for the wreck where Dale lost his life is a mute point.
    R I P Dale.
  • nope, those type of ppl are just idiots!
  • I certainly dont, it was accident. He took alot of heat for that and it was not deserved!
  • Absolutely NOT>
  • no it was an accident and people need to quit placing blame, that's why they are called accidents...
  • No, it was Osama Bin Laden and Sadam Hussein.
  • Poor Sterling, he even got death threats, this was a racing accident, it was not Sterlings fault, I never blamed Sterling. A lot of Sr fans did.. But he atleast died doing what he loved racing all out and hard..I have heard people boo Sterling at races now, I think they need to let it go big time.. I'm sure if he had not died, he would have said it was not Sterlings fault...I was there I saw the wreck, sure I was pissed,and crying my eyes out at the same time, but once I saw it again on TV it was just a racing accident, and also people remember he had a habit of loosening up his belts, he did alot and he knew the risks, he might have survived, but we will never know...R.I.P Dale Sr.

    Go Dale Jr & Hms
  • if any body is to blame it should be nascar. you need to look at the facts that the year before Adam Petey, Kenny Irwin, Blaise Alexander, and Tony Roper all died. they could of made the Hans device manditory after any of them died but they didnt.
  • That's just ignorance in action, plain and simple!
  • No comments: