17.12.08

Nascar Trivia---What did they used to use?

May be...

  • I'm very surprised that the answer isn't a simple google away, I assumed it would be. Nice question.

    I bet the primary source of drying back then was simply vehicles circulating the track at yellow flag speed.

    Interested to hear the real answers though.
  • My guess, they would drive cars around at high speeds to evaporate the water.

    If my feeble memory serves me correct, they stopped that after the "pace car" that was being used to dry the track crashed into the stands killing some spectators.

    Or something like that.
  • kitty litter??? or sawdust???


    I say that because when I had a flood in my basement that is what I was told to use (kitty litter). Bought a ton of it and it worked wonders. Though not practical for a race track...still it's a guess only.
  • I know a lot of tracks used to drag tires around to dry the track.
  • Back in the 60's before the jet dryer was affordable and available for NASCAR's use what did the use to dry the track after a rain shower?
    And yes they did use something....do you know what NASCAR's primary source for track drying was??? Good luck and have fun with it.
    This practice continued until the late 60's (some tracks kept until early 70's) but was utlimately discontinued after an accident occurred during a rainy Michigan event that forced NASCAR to come up with a safer option. So what do you think??? What was the accident??
    in 1969
  • Helicopters!
    Yankee 600, Aug, 1969...Earl Brooks wrecked on lap 35. Rain stopped race at lap165, with David Pearson winning. Grand National race.


    *HYPD*discount tool chest
  • No comments: