30.5.08

Can someone explain to me why all the bashing of drivers are so vicious in this forum?Are we not Nascar Fans??

May be...

  • we are anscar fans and as such regardless of YA...we need to remember that as fans of THE GREATEST SPORT, we do not have to like all drivers and we do not need to bash them...
  • I guess it's kinda like the Hatfields and the Mc Coys, feuding for so long no one remembers why.

    I have participated at times and many times I have quit bashing for a time only to open the forum and find threads disrespecting Dale Earnhardt Sr. I don't mean everyone has to like him but calling him vile names and saying he got what was coming to him isn't right. Jr gets blasted all the time, today it was gay talk and he is stupid. People engage in this then expect respect toward their driver when they ask a question concerning him.

    I don't think there is an answer.
  • Innocent tongue in cheek jabs here and there in good fun don't bother me, I've been guilty of it myself, it's the full on verbal assaults that I have a hard time with, and yes, some of them get pretty ugly. I've stated before, people should spend more time showing support for the drivers they do like and quit wasting their time hating on the ones they don't.
    And true nascar fans can respect the accomplishments of ANY driver, their favorite or not.
  • good question. i'm probably one of the most verbose people in this area, yet i think i can safely say that i have never seriously bashed a driver - ok, maybe one or two who shall remain nameless. or three. what i don't understand is not only do people just love to viciously bash drivers other than their own favorite, they love to bash the fans of that driver, or specific people on Y!A.

    wait, that's not totally true, i guess i do understand a little. this morning i was reading responses to a question about my favorite driver, and the vast majority of the responses were people not answering the question, but instead bashing the driver. and i too, being human, got hot under the collar and ranted just a wee little bit. or a little bit more. ok, a lot. anywho, i stepped over the line, someone called me on it, and i removed the lines someone might find offensive and apologized.

    i say this all not so you'll say "oh look at him, he's so caring and wonderful and compassionate" - because i'm not, not even close - not when it comes to my passion for the sport and for my favorite drivers. and when i see a bunch of people not even bothering to answer the question, but who launch right into the bashing, i start to see a little red. and when i see someone specific bashing or getting bashed, unless it's someone who is a regular and who i believe is joking or just being sarcastic, it really pi$$e$ me off too.

    so i guess that's why it gets so vicious in here.

    my point when i started, i think, was that it's tough to consistently stand up for your own driver (especially if he's my favorite driver) without taking some crap for it, and then NOT want to return the favor in kind. MOST of my answers have been as kyle-friendly as well as other-driver friendly as possible, without having to put down other drivers or their fans. heck i even made up the list of why people hate my driver and it got the best answer. so, can't we all just ... get along?

    does that help in answering the question?

    ps. hey miller lite, your driver sux!!! ;-) just kidding. thought i'd try to lighten it up a little, really. i'm a busch brothers fan to the core myself.
  • I think most the vicious attacks you read on here are the Trolls that just stop in to cause trouble, ya know just to stir the pot a little.

    I try not to trash or bash but every once in a while something someone says just gets the better of me and I feel the need to go off. It's just the passion I feel for my favorite team and sometimes I just can't help myself.

    I do think it is great we all like different teams. It's alright to have opinions that is what makes this world so great we have the right to voice our thoughts. Just because I don't like certain teams whoever they may be dosen't mean I don't like the folks that support them. One of my closest friends is a die hard Stewart fan (no offense anyone) and walking into his house is like walking into Stewart land right down to the Home Depot orange walls in the game room, the bobble heads, die cast cars you name it he's got it. Of course I make fun of it every chance I get but I don't fault him for who he likes. Instead I think it makes for some pretty interesting conversations. Sometimes heated but always enlightening.

    Yes I am a huge NASCAR fan, I am loyal and passionate when it comes to my fav's as everyone else is. That is why I like hanging out in here (and it passes time on slow days here at work) but I find it fun and entertaining to read everyone's opinions and to throw in my 2 cents where I see fit. I think most of the regulars do get along in here pretty well even with our differences.
  • I think there is a really great group of "regulars" on here. Some of us are passionate, and at times do talk a little smack. But, a lot of times it just teasing, and many times it really does make me smile or chuckle when it comes off as "ribbing".

    Then there are the people that come out of nowhere, or don't come on here very much at all and just post a question to intentionally get things started. Who really wins in a situation like that? Nobody, so why bother?!

    It's never going to change really. Last year it was Jeff and Jimmie bashing. There wasn't a day that went by that bashers were saying they were gay, Jimmie was a cheater, they were Hendrick twins, Hendrick cheated, NASCAR favored them, Jimmie was stealing the title from Jeff, etc. etc. This year it's Dale Jr. and Kyle Busch bashing. Next year it will be whoever else is in the top spots. It is hard when it's your favorite driver, but you must always consider the source before you get angry about it.

    As for the thumbs down. I really don't care. I figure some people give thumbs down for stupid reasons like not liking your name, your avatar, or just because they differ in opinion. I personally only give thumbs down to people who are rude to others. People who don't agree with me still make really good points or have thoughtful answers, so in my opinion don't deserve a thumb's down.

    Just my pennies on the subject.
  • Couldn't agree with you more!. Being a Junior fan here is like asking for the war to begin. I've been a NASCAR fan for a long time now. I like several of the drivers. Smoke is my second favorite. Senior was my favorite.I don't come on here often anymore because it 's just plain crazy. All one has to do is if you don't like the driver, overlook the nitpickin' and look at the question. There are a lot of great questions, like this one, on here but people just can't seem to answer the question without bashin' a driver. I think we should all show good sportsmanship and respect for others opinions. Peace n Smiles =o~}
  • Several words are

    Passion
    Childishness
    Dedication
    Loyalty
    Saga
    Tension
    Hurt Feelings
    Thrill
    Agony

    I've come to accept that all people can't control their emotions. Sometimes people need a little push in the right direction and then they do fine.
  • I'm with ya it gets kind of crazy here sometimes and when people don't like your driver look out!! heck I get thumbs down all the time sometimes just because I have Jr's # in my name!! (cute huh!!) I feel like to each their own and I've found that some of the best answers and questions I've seen on here come from people that are fans of a driver I don't really like but hey that doesn't mean that I don't like them, I think some people could show a little more respect, just because someone is a fan of someone they don't like doesn't mean their wrong!! Does this make any sense or am I babbling (sorry I'm really tired)
  • i agree with you. Everyone is entitled to their opinion of which driver they choose to root for. But on this site you are bashed and berated if someone doesn't like your driver. I personally like 99% of the drivers because of who they are off the track. They do so much for the communities around the country. All of the chairty work they do should be commended. Now i know there are some drivers that when they are on the track, don't race everyone very clean and fair but that is racing. I am a huge Dale Jr fan and i am intitled to choose whatever driver i want and i should be able to go onto this site and show my support for him with out having to read all the crap that others write. I think most of the time, the people that are showing their ignorance know nothing about racing.
  • It's not just Nascar, it's all sports, anything competitive. There will always be those people out there. Personally I think it's a bit immature. There are a lot of Nascar drivers out there who I just can't stand because of their attitudes on the track, but I don't go out of my way to bash them, unless it's with one of my friends who like them, and then it's just teasing. This situation will never be resolved as long as there are public competitive sports out there, but good question though.
  • hurt feelings
  • That is an excellent question. I wonder if people are bored or venting. My driver (Jeff Gordon) has been bashed, called gay and has been booed at for years so I guess I'm use to it. Why can’t we all just get along?
  • Don't know why, my driver is Kurt Busch & even though he does so much for the kids with the Victory Junction Camp and is a good driver everytime he come out he gets booed, I personally don't hate any other drivers out there, there are a few I don't care for but they do what they do much better than any of us out here could do. To me if they're good enough to be out there on that field, give em the respect they deserve. I do notice mostly the driver bashers are the Jr. Nation fans, Jr's a great guy but people give him way too much credit for thing he has yet to accomplish. Now watch after this comment someone's gonna bash my driver lol
  • It's called PASSION.

    Maybe if some people had as much passion for life as sports. The world would be a lot better.

    It happens in all sports.

    That's why everyone has a favorite team. A little trash talk is OK as long as it does not get rude.
  • i guess i tend to ignore the "questions" about bashing/bad mouthing other drivers...i will admit there are several drivers i'm not fond of and just because i'm a Nascar fan doesn't mean i have to like every driver.

    and the bashing is not just on this forum... go over to topix and see the loonies over there...
  • I actually agree with #18 Rowdy. I will admit I am guilty of talking smack against JGR, but I'm trying really hard to stop. I am part of Jr. Nation (here come the thumbs down..lol, jk) and a couple days ago, I started realizing that the racer's I talk smack about are also human. I'm 40 yrs. old you would think I would know better. I have just this year gotten into watching every race, so I get a little hot headed at times, which really isn't the kind of person I really am. I have even stopped talking as much smack on nascar.com. I agree, we should start respecting each other because we all have one thing in common, we love NASCAR :D I will really try to ease up on my Kyle & Denny smack talk.
  • Trash talk is OK, but when people get rude, that is not cool. Sure I did my share of trash talking, (the remark of Kyle Bush not growing a mustache, he has to do a comb over), that was a joke.

    But Like I said I respect ALL drivers, I may not like a certain one, but I respect them.I just did that remark because a bush fan made a rude comment on Jr in a question, and it was uncalled for. Some people are so obsessed with their driver that they don't see what is actually going on around them.
    I respect most of the fans, and most of everybody in this forum, (unless your a troll) but some can be just down right mean.
  • Well it's not my fault but I can't stand KURT BUSCH...jk lol

    Really though, I think almost all NASCAR drivers are good people, or at least have good qualities, but we only look at the outside and how they race on the track. But almost all of them are really nice and donate to charities and things like that...we just try to picture them as being mean people if we don't like them. I think as being fans we kind of create rivalries and try to find imperfections with the drivers in order to make ours more likeable...but all in all they have their good qualities and bad qualities just like everyone else.
  • No comments: