31.5.08

How different would NASCAR be if Bill Elliott had never raced?

May be...

  • Rusty Wallace would have had 2 cups and not 1. Bill won the 1988 cup by a mear 24 pts.
  • Not the same i think it would still be as aggressive, But, without him NASCAR would not be the same.
  • It's hard to see some of the old timers go isn't it. Those guys made the sport. I guess things always change and now we have new faces. Pretty soon the new faces will be signing off and we'll be saying the same about them. Every driver changes the sport in some form or fashion.
  • The section at Atlanta Motor Speedway would have a different name and the highest speed record would be held by someone else.
  • Not sure, but I don't think the slogan "Awesome Bill from Dawsonville" would be around lol...

    Also, we might not even have restrictor plates had he not qualified at 212 mph at Talledega in the late 80s.
  • If Wild Bill had never raced ?? We wouldn't have this sissy restrictor plate racing... like we all have to endure now aday's.
  • I've often wondered if I would've become a NASCAR fan if Bill Elliott, my favorite of all time, had never raced.
  • Nascar would not have me as a fan,
    Im 21, and my Dad would always watch Nascar and he was a big Dale E. fan.. I watched the Mcdonalds Car go round and round and became interested in Nascar because I loved Mcdonalds.. I eventually liked other drivers but I will never forget those golden arches
  • I remember watching Bill early on. He and his brothers breaking into a sport that was soon becoming big money. They were underdogs then that ran away with the feild. 11 times in '85. Most people jumped on board then. I was already there pulling for the red head. I liked his cool and calmness on the track and his friendly personality off the track.

    I have often wondered weather or not his breaking the track speed record got NASCAR to thinking of a way to slow them down. LOL, I remember Bill saying that was fast and he wouldn't want to do that again. I think that when they saw that this little team out of Macon GA (Dawsonville) could outrun them hands down with what they brung someone had to find a way to even the playing feild. Many of the things Melling/Coors #9 brought to the tracks were innovative, From engine design to suspension. These things were used for years by other teams too. So I think they did help change the face of NASCAR just as many other teams and drivers have in the past and have since.

    I would love to see Bill win one more race! That would be soooo cool and even if jr was leading on the last lap and Bill was second I would have to say GO BILL! It wouldn't be just Bill winning, it would be the whole team and they really need it.
  • No comments: