9.2.08

Red ring of death 360?

May be...

  • my son wants an xbox 360 for his birthday and after some research,am hearing about this red ring fault. is this common in xbox 360s? has it happened to you? i think he would be better with a ps3.as they have come down in price and seem to be better value for money.more reliable and more features with free online gaming. i know they now dont have backward compatability with older games,but whats the point of buying a next gen consol and playing ps2 games?
  • Go with the PS3, it is more worth the value, it has better games with better graphics, especially in High Def. Also, I have an xbox that had problems all the time, I have had 6 new ones because of faults. It is not worth it.
  • It's less common these days but it was quite the epidemic only months ago. My suggestion is to purchase an external fan for your 360. They run about 25 bucks and can be bought from anywhere they sell 360's usually. The main problem with the RROD was overheating and these fans are a great and inexpensive way to counter that problem. I've had one RROD. When I received my new 360 I immediately bought a fan and havn't had any problems since!



    And yes the 360 is backwards compatible. You can go the Xbox's webpage and view all compatible Xbox games. It's not 100% with every game, but its close.
  • well it is common but you don't normally have it happen till 12-18 months in i have had my 360 for 10 months and if it does happen just use the warrenty to send it to microsoft for a new 360.



    keep the hard drive if u have to send it
  • ring of death does seem to be quite common with xbox 360 . but they are getting better . xbox i belive have extended the warranty to three years (but i not 100%) .



    I have never had one but based on my friends . One is on his THIRD machine , other is on his second .



    PS3 seems to be quite reliable but expensive and not so many games out at the mo . also never forget about the wii . Thats my fav.



    If you are to get one you can get fan coolers that may reduce the chances of it going wrong .
  • The 360 is amazing. I unfortunately have the red ring of death right now. But, Microsoft is so nice, they replace it absolutely free. =D
  • The matter of "value" comes with what games are available for the system. Even the most awesome graphics and free online play doesn't mean a thing to a kid who only wants games on another system.



    The "red ring of death" happens when an Xbox 360 breaks, usually a case of overheating. This was a huge problem early on, but they've since done a lot to fix it. If something happens, just make sure you save the receipt and keep records. Microsoft has extended the warranty, and a defective 360 that breaks like that can be replaced for free up to three years later.



    With Xbox Live, you get a lot of things, including game demos and trailers for new games, easy chatting with buddies online while playing games, and more. Sony has a good online system, but Microsoft has the best one.



    So you're protected from the "red ring of death" under the Microsoft warranty. I suggest you consider the 360 if that's what he wants, because he might not appreciate a ps3 even if it's a better system. That would be really frustrating, I'm sure.
  • You'll have a 3 year warrenty on the RROD. I really wouldn't mind if I got it tomorrow, as I'd get it back in a couple of weeks with some goodies :). Anyway, personally I haven't got the RROD and you shouldn't worry about paying for xbox live, its really worth it.
  • get a ps3 mate
  • No comments: