15.10.08

Dale Earnhardt or Richard Petty?

May be...

  • As much as i like Earnhardt, It is STILL Richards title!
  • Not even close- Richard Petty is the King. If Earnhardt were here, he'd tell you the same thing. 200 wins says a bunch. The one stat that blows me away is 7 (yes 7) Daytona 500 victories. That's impressive. Petty still had to race against drivers like David Pearson, Cale Yarborough, and Bobby Allison, to name just a few. Petty also holds many records in Nascar to this day, many of which will remain unbroken. I don't care how much money you have and how talented your race team is, 10 wins in a row is amazing.
  • You are exactly right......................#3 was the best ever!!
  • Back in Petty's day they raced twice a week sometimes three so it is hard to say but King Richard did give us this and Dale improved it.
  • Richard Petty
  • I am surprised that I haven't seen this question on here before,but here goes.

    Who do you think deserves the title "King of NASCAR"?

    Here is my view:

    I know that Richard Petty has 200 wins and Earnhardt had 76 and that they both won seven championships,but I think Dale Earnhardt is the true King of NASCAR because:

    Back in Petty's day,there weren't as many rules in NASCAR to limit what you brought to the track.If you could afford to build an engine that had 100 more HP than what everyone else(or most)could afford,then you could bring it and smoke the field.
    The Petty's had more money than most of the teams back then and,therefore,dominated.
    -During most of Earnhardt's time,the rules were implemented and things were on a more level playing field.
    So,I feel that Petty's 200 wins and 7 championships are overrated and(I know it's hard to compare drivers from different eras,but I am trying) don't think he would have had half as much success if he and Dale started racing at the same time.

    NOTE: I realize that teams with more money/resources these days can afford to buy better equipment for the shop and the rigs they bring to the track and all of that,but everyone still works within the same tolerances and with the same parts and bodies.

    To me,Dale Earnhardt is the King of NASCAR....who is to you and why?
  • richard petty is the best. no one wil;l evre get close to his records because other drivers retire to early with their MILLLIONS!!!!
  • Definitely Dale, Richard also drove in an era with several races a week. If I had 100 extra HP and races every other day, I could make it to 200 wins. Dale was the man, plain and simple.
  • Richard Petty . Remember when he was racing and it started to became televised it was only three Networks back then.. If he didn't do what he did it would not have attracted the fans, sponsors or the networks. HE was critical in laying down the foundations for what it has become today.
  • If I had been born 20-25 years earlier, I might say Richard Petty. But I wasn't so in my mind Dale Sr. wasn't just "The King" of NASCAR, He was NASCAR.
  • Petty's team had the money because he won the money in a NASCAR that did not have that great of sponsorship cash unlike today where majority of teams money comes from sponsors not winning. I do agree that DAL would have done good in Petty's days because he was a determined driver that wanted to win not a clone like the majority of drivers today who just want finish and get points.
    One thing Dale and Richard had in common was fact neither had a son who became as near great as they were.
  • Richard Petty!
  • Dale Earnhardt all the way!!!!
  • Dale Earnhart hands down!
  • Dale Earnhardt raced back in the day when there weren't so many rules and regulations. The teams with the most money still continue to win today. No difference there. Petty keeps the King of Nascar status in my book.
  • Dale Earnhardt Sr.sports car prototype
  • No comments: