22.5.08

Do you think back flips and climbing the fence are a good idea?

May be...

  • That is a good point, I don't think I'd pull the plug on it, though.
  • I think about that every time they win. I like how Roush and Gibbs are worried about their drivers running the Nationwide series but they let them do acrobats. Nothing like a nice, safe burnout and/or victory lap. Good question.
  • They could slip and fall in the shower, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't take showers. These guys drive around a track doing 200mph with 42 other drivers. I may be wrong, but I think that's far more dangerous than back flips and fence climbing.
  • It makes a great show for the fans, no doubt.

    But, If I had Carl Edwards or Tony Stewart under contract, I'd have to pull the plug on such activities.

    What would happen if Edwards foot slipped off the edge of the car, and he landed on his neck?

    What if Tony Stewart climbs out of his car after a win overheated and dehydrated, misses his footing and falls from the top of fence?
  • But yet they do all sorts of promotions where they could easily suffer a career ending injury.

    Hey, a friggin plane could crash on the track too!

    Let them enjoy. Remember that just a few years ago, they never did the burnouts after winning either. It was considered unsportsmanlike.
  • id be funny if they mest up hehe....

    no im just kidding that would be awful lol
  • I think that it is a good idea because i think that every driver should have a signature move after winning a race instead od doing just regualr things
  • When a driver doing a back flip,climbing a fence or one that looses it doing a burn out gets injured then something will be done.
    But for show it is a crowd pleaser.
  • You do have a good point, but these guys are facing a lot more danger than slipping and falling. Do you think Edwards would have gotten as many commercials if he didn't do backflips?
  • AS LONG AS THE INFIELD CARE CENTER IS OPEN....WHY NOT..CARL AND TONY EACH COULD USE SOME STITCHES FROM A GOOD WHACK ON THE HEAD!!
  • Good question, I'm sure Jack Roush knows Carl is in super good shape, but if he ever misses a landing, turns that ankle over or falls and injures himself I'm sure that will be the end of the backflips..The same thing on Smoke as well with the fence also...I guess it does put on a good show for the fans..I guess the old saying goes if its not broke don't fix it. Carl is a lot younger than Smoke, I'm sure Tony knows when he is not able to climb that fence.

    Go Dale Jr & Hms
  • You make a good point, Rob.

    Yeah, these guys are out there racing at close to 200 mph, but they are very well protected in that car. That is not the case when flipping or climbing a fence. I worry more about Smoke climbing those fences that wobble than i do about Carl. He looks like he knows what he's doing, and he's been doing it for a while. He might still get it wrong, though, considering he does if after spending four hours in a hot car that he is muscling around the track. But the crowds love it, especially when Smoke climbs up there and shares the victory with them. I don't think they'll pull the plug until something happens.
  • i do not think that they have to i just think it is part of there personalities...otay
  • Its good fun and if NASCAR thoughtit was remotely dangerous they would pull the plug for everyone they do not let anyone do anything unsafe.
  • I couldnt disagree more. If I was a owner and knowing how tough sponsorships can be to obtain, I would love having guys like that. Thats something you can really brand. The odds such activities help my race team are far, far greater than the odds they get hurt. I would never try to drag personality out of my driver. That stuff sells.
  • I think these guys know their limitations. If they can drive at close to 200 mph in these races then these post race celebrations should not be a problem. Tony Stewart may want to back off of the fence climbing because of his current weight problem; the next fence he climbs might come tumbling down upon him. Carl Edwards however has realized his potential danger and has changed to doing his back flip on the grass..............a bit of a softer landing in case he does mess up. The way #20 is driving this year may keep him off the fences anyway.......................
  • it is entertaining for the fans and the fans pay the bucks they get so...I think its great, keep flipping and climbing...sides if they couldnot do it I am sure they would think of another way, these guys are thrill seekers
  • i know that a) it's not a good idea for me to try it, and b) carl edwards does flips because he is happy to have won and doesn't want to be doing burnouts because he feels it tears up the equipment.

    and as other people have said, these guys do far more dangerous things on and off the track, and injury is always a possibility. heck, last year (or was it the year before) jimmie johnson fractured a bone in his wrist while goofing around on golf carts...

    as for tony, well, tony's going to do what tony wants, and the fence climbing was a cool thing for the fans, and for the teams. it just shows off the driver's personalities a little differently than just doing burnouts...and is better on the equipment overall.
  • Pull the Plug on the back flip for sure! I thought it was cool the first time I saw it but, it could end up being a really bad deal!
    If Tony wins he could have his pit crew there to catch him if he falls, but I would pull that plug too!
  • I say let them do what ever they want to do. They know what they loose if something goes wrong. If I won that much money for doing something I love I would do flips too.!!
  • idk but that would make some funny moment in victory lane celebrations.... LAMO
  • No comments: