1.9.08

Best former nascar driver turned commentator?

May be...

  • DW
  • My favorite is Wally. I think he has a great sense of humor and he is very smart. He wasn't a very good driver. But they say those who can't do, teach. Those who can't drive, commentate. I like Kyle too. They make a good team together.
  • Benny Parsons (R.I.P.) & D.W.
  • New - it is a toss up between Dale Jarrett and Kyle Petty. Both are very good in the booth.

    In the past - Benny Parsons may he rest in peace.

    Current - Darrell Waltrip......I know he flaps his gums a lot more than others (maybe he gets paid by the word?) but he can make ya forget about any boring parts in a race real fast. Plus who doesn't like Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Let's go racin' boys.

    Michael Waltrip does good in the truck's too.
  • I'm not much on remembering qoutes but I loved Benny Parsons, may he rest in peace. Today I would have to say Dale Jarrett. Kyles good too, but for crying out loud send Rusty home, the only time I have heard him worse is when commentating an Indy race,
  • DW. The only announcers in racing that I truly think are absolutely fantastic, though, are the three guys that call the F1 races on Speed. They are funny and they don't talk to you like its the first race you've ever seen.
  • I may be a bit prejudice because Dale Jarrett was my favorite driver for many years. I remember one year at the awards ceremony, when instead of a regular speech, he went into a little story, that just happened to include all of his sponsors! So I have to go with him for my favorite announcer. He always did have that sense of humor that he shows in his comments. I have trouble picking a worst. No one in particular really annoys me ALL of the time.
  • Great Question!

    My all time favorite was the late Benny Parsons with Ned Jarrett running a very close 2nd....these two set the standards that the announcers today can only hope to achieve.

    I agree with your statement about DJ and Kyle...think they're exactly what broadcasting need nowadays.

    My opinion of worst (although he was a great driver) is Rusty Wallace....he literally made my ears bleed last year on ESPN...so pleased when they replaced him with DJ. Rusty just came off (to me) as unpleasant....yes I am holding back in order not to offend his fans.
    I just didn't enjoy then or now his commentary.

    And of course as always......you guessed it....just my opinion.
  • Definitely Darrell Waltrip, I love his commentary in the booth.
  • I like Dale Jarret the best. He's intelligent and funny and manages to make it the whole race without repeatedly mentioning himself or what he did, unlike DW or Rusty.

    My worst has to go to Wally Dallenbach. At least DW and Rusty have something to brag about. They actually won races.

  • Darrel Waltrip. Not only is he high energy, he has his own personality. And the dude cracks me up. The races are way more fun to watch when D.W. is commentating. He's like having another friend around. Did you see the Sprint lady trying to stand behind Jimmie Johnson in victory lane. Jimmie looked liked he had another head growing out of his shoulder. All she does is stand there and nod. I think Rick Hendrick got in her way.
  • best: Darrell Waltrip
    worst: Rusty Wallace
  • ned jarret..... he once won a race by 14 LAPS....
  • Dale Jarret and DW
    worst: Rusty Wallace
  • I really like Dale Jarrett and Kyle Petty. If you've ever heard Michael Waltrip commentate a truck race, I think he does really well with that. My all time favorite is Benny Parsons, I loved how when there was an accident, Benny would get real excited and yell " Whoa, we've got Trouble". I'm sorry, but I can't stand Rusty Wallace on any level, he could fall out of the booth and I'd never notice.
  • I'm going to agree with DJ being the best. All of you DW bobbleheads... DW was off his game this year... heck, a couple of the races, he didn't even have a voice! Yes, I like DW, but you have to admit he wasn't his usual self for the 2008 season. If it weren't for Larry Mac, then FOX's coverage would have been in the pooper. Mikey Waltrip... well, he's fun to listen to for the NCTS races... but I'm giving the edge to DJ.

    The worst, by far, Rusty Wallace. It's kind of refreshing that most of his commentary lately has been relegated to Nationwide, although sometimes it makes the Nationwide series painful to listen to. I loved Rusty as a driver, but his ESPN yes-man attitude (just praising whichever driver his bosses tell him to), coupled with his arrogance, makes me think he needs to pull out of broadcasting and focus on his team.
  • Worst - rusty wallace, too consumed with his "family tree" of racing and he's BORING.

    Luv - kyle, DW, Michael Waltrip, Kenny Wallace, and though I was under the impression that dale jarrett was boring i'll have to take a look at this race to see his funny side, haven't seen the race yet and still think he's pretty boring. What i hate about announcers is when they walk all over another guys punch lines. Kyle petty has some pretty good stuff but if he's not with the right crew they really don't get his humor and seems we are alone at home laughing along with kyle. while they sit there wondering whats funny. I don't recall the races with parsons but i'm sure there are enough old races on that we could still get a chance to watch them over and over. I'm not one to store jokes i hear in my memory but I do enjoy them just the same.
  • The late Benny Parsons
  • This year I think Dale Jarrett, Kyle Petty, and Michael Waltirp (truck series) have been doing a real good job in the booth. They all bring their insight and personality to the table. I don't think Rusty Wallace is too bad since he does bring some of the Nascar knowledge to the Nationwide series, but I think he is the weakest link right now of the new ones.

    To me the best from previous years are Ned Jarrett, Darrell Waltrip, and the late Benny Parsons all bought their insight and have a fun personality. They give you the feel that they are not only former drivers but also a feel that they are also fans of their respective sport. Though Wally Dallenbach Jr. has some of the insight, I think he is the weakest link in the other parts needed to be a great commentator same with Rusty Wallace.

    I would like to give a honorable mention to Kenny Wallce and Jimmy Spencer. I know their main gigs are Nascar RaceDay and Nascar Victory Lane, on Speed Channel, but I think they both bring great insight and personality to a Nascar program anyway.
  • I think that with the loss of Benny Parsons, then it comes down to two guys. Either Kyle Petty or Wally Dallenbach. I really like Wally for his funny stories, like the one about racing in his wife's underwear. And I also like the fact that he tries to buck the rules about not bashing Nascar to hard for questionable calls and practices. He has never seemed too worried about ruffling feathers with his commentary.

    But Kyle has had his share of memorable days in the booth. Like last year, when Gordon was on his way to a rain-shortened win at Pocono. Kyle extolled that if Gordon and his team were smart enough to figure out their pit strategy around the weather that well, he was not going to work on Monday. He said there was no reason to try and beat a team that good. But the top story is actually an accident , when he was the in-race reporter last year at Sonoma. Before the Green flag,they rode around on the parade laps. listening to Kyle praying for the team,the sponsor,the other drivers,pretty much anyone he could shake a stick at, on his radio. And then less than a lap later, you could here him cussing like a sailor, when he was taken out by someone else's bad driving.
  • The best: Benny Parsons he was a great driver and had great class up there in the booth, he was able to make me tune out the other two boring guys inthe booth with him.

    The worse: thats simple, Rusty Wallace. Thank god for MRN, and the remote control. I do not think he has a clue what real race fans think of him in the booth.. Sorry Rusty, just shut up.

    I will toss in a honorable mention: Mikey Waltrip does a great job with the truck races.

    Go Dale Jr & Hms
  • I love Dale Jarrett and Kyle Petty as commentators. They bring the knowledge and humor.
    I also like Wally Dallenbach. That little skit he did where he was skiing on the lake (I think at Daytona?) was hilarious.
    I don't dislike DW but sometimes I wish he'd just shut his trap.
  • Darrel Waltrip is the best commentator and I think he was a great driver of his time. I never got to see him race though. I personally liked his Darrel Shuffle it was funny although he can be annoying at times but I still say he's the best.
  • Best, and in his own class: Benny Parsons

    Potential to be a great pairing: Dale Jarrett and Kyle Petty (get them together!!! They will be great.)

    Awful: Darrell Waltrip (too opinionated and will not let stuff go...Kept blaming Stewart for incident @ Darlington that he did not cause...and even thru the all star race he was still bringing up that...watch the tape...Tony stayed outside of the white line on the track...Sadler came up into the lane)

    Should have been fired after his first race: Rusty Wallace
  • one of the few things i really enjoyed about last night's race was the commentary coming from the booth - in particular the comments and analysis from dale jarrett. i thought he was not only insightful, but hilarious at times. his quotes about the cheetos wrapper on biffle's grill were classic, especially when he joked about jimmie johnson being so far ahead he had time to eat a bag and throw out the wrapper.

    and i'm pretty sure i'm not alone in my opinion that kyle petty also makes a heck of a commentator when he calls races for tnt. his commentary this year, especially while juan pablo's car was on fire at pocono, included some classic moments as well. i particularly liked when he said that kyle busch is the maytag repairman of nascar this year - the loneliest guy on the track - because he was out front so often and so much that he never got to see anyone else.

    and then there's the others - darrell waltrip, rusty wallace, and randy lajoie. and let us not forget gentleman ned jarrett earlier in the year.

    which brings me to my question - who do you think has been the best former driver turned commentator this year? who has been the worst? or if you prefer, who has been the best and/or worst from previous years?

    the best answer chosen will be one that includes a particularly well-chosen humorous quote or bit of insightful analysis.
  • rusty wallace
  • No comments: