3.9.08

How do you choose which NASCAR driver to like?

May be...

  • Skill, knowledge, fame, patience, which brews wins and championships..
    Also, their personality and their driving style and aggression.
    Actually, for me, it was lucky because the first time I watched NASCAR, Jeff Gordon won and so I chose him as my favorite. From that time, I still admire the guy not because he was the first I saw win, but because he fit those traits. He's a great guy and one of NASCAR's Greatest!
  • talent and attitude. i caught a terminal case of "nascar fever" while living in vegas six or so years ago while watching with some knowledgeable friends. they filled me in on the drivers as we watched some races and they had favorite drivers so i picked one - an arrogant punk most people seemed to not like very much as he always seemed to be at the eye of one the storm much of the time, both on and off the track. he was aloof and arrogant, but he showed he had the skills to back it up. and he just happened to be from vegas as well - grew up down the road from where i had many years before. then he mentioned his younger brother and how good he was, and i was hooked. the busch brothers were my team, and when kurt lost some of his attitude and seemingly lost some of his "fire," kyle came along, scooped 'it up and ran with it, he was my driver. and has been ever since.
  • people are just random
    well i pick Matt Kenseth cuz i like the way the number 17 looked
    hey i was 9 or 10
    Now i Love him For his driving and his looks
  • For me, it depends partly on what kind of car they drive, though when King Richard was driving a Plymouth I rationalized it by saying, "Well, he's so good, he can make a Plymouth go fast." Then I was a Dale Jarrett fan until he started driving for the enemy. Still like him, though. I just pick out drivers for any odd reason: Clint Bowyer because he crossed the finish line on his roof, Juan Pablo Montoya because he also raced in Formula 1, Carl Edwards because he's so dang fast.
  • I like my driver for his driving style, his personality on/off the track and that he is a loyal Chevy driver. Since sponsors change you never know who's going to be next so that is not a good way to choose your man. Also unless they suck like in Kyle Petty's case (sorry Kyle), I was a Dale Earnhardt fan first so I root for his son, who fortunately is a good talented driver with a lot of critics like good drivers should have.
  • I chose my favorite driver this way:
    I have always been a HUGE fan of Dale Earnhardt.After his passing in 2001,I quit watching NASCAR for the entire season.After doing that,I missed the sport and realized that I couldn't live without it and had to pick a new favorite driver.I didn't want to jump on the Jr. or the Harvick wagon only because they were associated with Dale,so I decided to pick a favorite rookie in 2002.Jimmie Johnson caught my eye with his driving ability,personality,and quick success(some may remember that he had the pole for his very first Daytona 500..of course,he wrecked and Ward Burton won,but oh well.That happens at Daytona;and he also won California and both Dover races in his rookie season).As it turns out,I picked a good one.2 championships,36 wins(including the 2006 Daytona 500;2006,2008 Brickyard 400's;and 3 Coca-Cola 600's in a row),2 All-Star races,and a Bud Shootout later,I am still rooting for the 48 every time he gets in a race car.Go Jimmie!!!
  • I picked Kevin Harvick cause he was so exciting to watch and he was never afriad to back down. But now he obeys the rules so not to get into trouble so I'm kinda getting bored
  • just keep watching, you'll figure it out
  • Well if you are talking about choosing your favorite driver I think it is different for every person. Some people go with the driver that happened to be winning a lot at the time they were first getting into it. Others who hang around long enough to get to know more about each one before choosing could go by off the track personality and driving style. And then there are those who have to chose another after their favorite driver or retires or something. I think a lot of those fans end up going with a driver who reminds them of their last favorite.


    But like I said it's different for everyone and this is JMO. Me personally, I picked Harvick before I even knew anything about him.
  • I saw Ragan in a magazine. I wasn't a fan yet.
    Then I started watching him in trucks. He still wasn't my favorite.
    The 2007 Daytona 500. That's what got me.
    I followed him all year even though it wasn't a great season last year.
    But this year makes me proud to be a David Ragan fan.


    Plus he is pretty cute. So that's a plus.
    : )
  • I watch how the driver preforms.I like the old style drivers,or those that driver like the drivers from the 60's.So Tony Stewart is my favorite,he races and reacts like the drivers that helped shape and founded this great sport.
    "Go Tony"
  • Well i picked Kasey Kahne because in his rookie year he impressed me with all his consistent finishes and he didn't have a cocky attitude like other newcomers. And he still doesn't
  • Well, you can root for a driver from your state but I went by off-track personality and on-track driving style.
  • I like Matt Kenseth because he's a lot like me. He's quiet and usually in the background, but he gets things done. Plus, I felt like he absolutely got no respect the year he won the championship despite the fact he dominated the points most of the year. I'm kind of a renegade.
  • I'm just curious what makes one driver more appealing than others. It's obviously not like other sports teams where they're associated with a particular city. And it's not that you can just say, I like Home Depot better than Lowes so I'll pick Stewart over Johnson... clue me in.
  • Well I was always partial to the number 2 when I was in high school and that was my number in high school sports and watched a few Nascar races and liked the number 2 car of Rusty Wallace. I like the sponsor Miller Genuine Draft being I consumed a many of them it was a perfect match. He switched to Miller Lite then he retired in 2005 and then Kurt Busch took over the 2 car and I did some soul searching on him and decided to stick with the 2 car. I don't drink anymore so the sponsor doesn't have anything to do with it.
  • When I was younger my mom bought me a Darrell Waltrip t-shirt, so when I was actually old enough to start following a driver I kinda followed him, although it was during the years where he didn't do anything. When he filled in for Steve Park I started following him along with DW. When DW retired I had always like Mikey so I started pulling for him along with Steve Park, and even Earnhardt. Always liked Earnhardt because the way he drove was the way I drove on my racing games. (forgive me i was young like 8) My mom didn't like Earnhardt though so I wasn't allowed to pull for him but I decided to openly pull for him starting in 2001.
    We all know what happened then, so I continued pulling for Mikey and Steve Park, didn't hop on the Jr. bandwagon. I somehow ended up with Ward Burton, don't remember.
    To make a long answer shorter... When I heard DW was starting a truck team I knew the truck driver I would pull for. Now that David Reutimann is in cup I pull for him, with Mikey, and McDowell, along with a few other drivers.
    I hope that answers your question.
  • Just pick one that kind of represents you or like that choose one that has a sponsor you like. Just any way you can think of.
  • I picked Bobby Labonte a long time ago because I liked his Green Interstate Batteries Chevy, but I've stuck with him when he moved to Petty too. Love the Petty's, all of them. They're doing such great things for kids. But I also love Smoke because he's got a mouth and a temper and I think he's great for the sport, and I love Newman because he's such a normal, laid back guy with a nice wife. Having Tony and Newman on the same team is going to be so much fun to follow. Love Schrader because he's REALLY funny. You can't go wrong with that #18 M&Ms if you want to see a winner.
  • First i went for someone local- Does anyone remember Robbie Moroso? Then when Robbie pasted away i went with his best friend at the time and that was Michael Waltrip.
    When I learned the sport more I went with Davey Allison and Kyle Petty because they were more my age.
    Now i go by driving style and overall how they carry themselves. I have to complete opposites there- Tony Stewart and Jeff Burton.
  • i choose out of a hat.
    [=
  • I agree with Tom G October 5th-12th.
  • No comments: