29.10.08

"If" Jimmie Johnson pours it on and wins this Sunday, does he break everyone else's back at that point?

May be...

  • yes I would say so.I love Jimmie but I hope someone else wins this week.
  • Most likely. He seems to have the same mojo working that Gordon had in the late 90's. He just wins when he has to.
  • I think it does. I know it still wont let him clinch if he wins but if he does as Dandy Don Merideth and Willie Nelson have said "Turn out the lights the party's over"
  • As a HUGE Hendrick Motorsports fan, and a huge Gordon and Johnson fan, my opinion is this, it may be premature but: THIS CHASE IS OVER. Jimmie Johnson has all but locked up this title.
  • Yeah, can you imagine how frustrated Nascar will be if JJ wraps up the championship before they go to Homestead?! I would love to see him blow an engine on lap 4 this week.
  • depending on the run of the following 2 more than likely unless they would have a weekend that is, well nope that would not work either so yep he would pretty much have it locked up...
  • Texas is the track that turns the most G-Forces. I think if they have tire problems it could be at Texas. It may not be high scale tire problems but there could still be problems. If Johnson makes it through here with a top 10 (at least) then Rick Hendrick is going to be telling Jimmie to "think about the big picture" and all Jimmie will have to do is pull some top 10 finishes.

    I think Jimmie will run in the top 15 most of the race, save his car, and at the end try to advance to the top 10 or more. Jimmie sandbags and waits until the end to improve position. If he sees he can get the win without jeopardizing the championship then he will. Off course I may be wrong on the sandbagging. He didn't sandbag at Martinsville like I thought he would.
    ----
    Oh yea. Texas is a prime example of a track that drivers sandbag at.
  • If Johnson can post a top 5 finish, I think all he'll need to do is just start the other two races to clinch, no matter what anyone else does.
  • Definitely, especially with Phoenix being the next race. Homestead is another track where Roush/Fenway has a noticeable advantage but by then Jimmie might not even have to start the race to win his 3rd championship in a row. I just can't help thinking about what happened to Jeff there in the spring and I'm not talking any smack until this week's race is over and in the books!
    3 STR8 N 08!!!
  • I think so. I'm sure he will get his 3peat. But darn, I wish Jr. would win a race in the chase to move up in points.
  • I think he broke their back last weekend! As I understand it, the most points that can be lost or gained in a single race is 166. Jimmie has a 183 point lead. He could DNF any one of the last three races and still have the lead! This is what I call a real exciting Chase!
    PEACE
  • I would think even the most optimistic folks would concede at that point..............you???
  • i think he already has. they've probably already engraved his name on the trophy
  • He has broken everyone else's back already. The turning point was Talladega and he escaped with a 9th place finish while Biffle and Edwards crashed out. Now the only question remains is how many points is he going to win the title by. Based on current point standings this is poised to be the largest points margin since 2001 when Jeff Gordon beat Tony Stewart by 349 points
  • I think he pretty much broke there backs last week and he will be really stout at Texas ,he has a good shot at winning there !amtrak schedules and prices
  • No comments: