23.5.09

F1; are there any drivers in GP2, or A1GP you'd like to see in F1?

May be...

  • I also don't follow the lower categories, so I'm quite uneducated about the drivers.
    Having said, that, I would like to see Liuzzi have another go, Senna Jnr (is he in GP2 still?) and he's not in either series, but for god's sake, someone bring back Sato!
    Don't you worry, you will be seeing a lot of GP2 and A1GP drivers in F1 from next year....at the rate FOTA/FIA meeting is going...
  • I haven't followed GP2 closely but I think Grosjean is impressive. He has always won races regardless of teams and it looks like he has hit the jackpot this year with the "brawnesque" Barwa Addax team. I only watched the end of the second race of the season so far, Grosjean was struggling with the tyres but he kept it together and finished second.

    I expect both Grosjean and Senna to be on the grid next year, given that there will be many new seats available.
  • I've always wanted to see Neel Jani have a shot... He's proven through his A1GP exploits to be the best in that rung of the racing ladder, but maybe his chance to be in F1 has passed.

    Lucas Di Grassi could be in real danger of becoming the new Giorgio Pantano (even Pantano has F1 experience!), in that he's now in his 4th year (!!!!!) of GP2... maybe he should've been in Piquet's seat we don't know, as I don't see him having that much over Nelsinho based on the only comparison we can do in GP2...

    People have been making mutterings about Adam Carroll from A1 Team Ireland, but I don't know if he could just step into an F1 car. I still think GP2 is the best measure atm and his results weren't great, but then neither were Buemi's and that didn't stop STR taking him on...

    Tonio Liuzzi is the best candidate for any team looking for experience and speed... he has been unlucky not to be put in for either Sutil or Fisichella, and should be in the car for next year...

    I also like Nico Hulkenberg, who Frank Williams sees a lot in, giving him the test role that has given rise to such careers as Damon Hill, David Coulthard, Juan Pablo Montoya and others... so it's quite a privileged position despite Williams gradual decline... Frank is looking to put him in a seat but is in a quandary as he clearly likes both Rosberg and Nakajima, and Kazu has the Toyota backing he needs. It'll be interesting to see Rosberg's position in the driver market later this year and whether Sir Frank will promote Nico II if Rosberg moves on...
  • Must admit I haven't followed any other single seater race series for a while
  • There are a lot of rumors of GP2 drivers possibly making the F1 step as main drivers (not only test drivers). Names surfaced are Chandhok, Teixeria, di Grassi, Rodriguez, Grosjean and Hulkenberg (and possibly others that I may be forgetting). Grosjean has really impressed this season in GP2, and his results speak for themselves. I like the prospect of Hulkenberg. These last 2 guys I would like to see in F1 already next season.

    I don't follow A1GP, but Liuzzi is there, and he deserves to be back in F1 full time as a driver and not just as a test driver.

    And with the possible arrival of new teams in 2010, I think all 3 drivers I mentioned (Grosjean, Hulkenberg and Liuzzi) have a great chance to be in the lineup next season.
  • .

    I said I'd like to see Grosjean and The Hulk in F1 last season and that still stands.

    Both are consistent performers and would be a credit to F1.

    .
  • Niko Hulkenberg, Adam Carroll and Roman Grosjean.

    Hulkenberg is blistering fast. I remember watching him win A1GP a couple of years back and I was absolutely blown away by how quick he was.

    Adam Carroll is fast and extremely consistant. He just won the A1GP and I'm surprised that he hasn't been mentioned yet. He was very good in GP2 as well and has even beaten Lewis Hamilton before.

    Grosjean has impressed in his testing times in the Renault car. Expect to see him in the race seat soon if Piquet doesn't get his act together.vgtalk
  • No comments: