8.6.08

How long will Heikki Kovalainen stay with McLaren?

May be...

  • Personally I hope he stays there with Lewis Hamilton for the rest of his career, though I'm doubtful, what do you guys think? will Robert Kubica come in after Kovalainen's contact has finished or will they renew it?

    I think Raikkonen will leave Ferrari next year and then Alonso will be in there obviously but yeah I couldn't see Kubica racing for Ferrari personally...

    What do you guys think?
  • As long as Kovalainen keeps on finishing in the points BEHIND Hamilton, then I think he's safe. He's doing a good number 2 driver's job at the moment, not threatening the team leader but being capable of picking up the pieces if things don't go well for Hamilton.
  • Kovalainen is being outshone by his team mate (but, then again, Lewis is outshining everybody in the sport!) I don't think Heikki will put up with this; he'll spit the dummy like Alonso did, and search for greener pastures elsewhere. But why would Kimi leave Ferrari? And I don't think Kubica should leave Sauber, they're on the verge of great things. Alonso? He's just a sook, ALMOST as bad as Mark Webber!
  • No idea about Heikki. However Kubica will most likely go to Ferrari over McLaren as there are already rumours he has been approached - although BMW has a 1 year option on Kubica so if he goes it wont be before end of 2009. There are also rumour circulating the F1 paddocks that Alonso has signed for Ferrari for 2010 already. I can see Alonso and Kubica at Ferrari for 2010 with Massa sold to mid table team or demoted to Test driver for Ferrari.

    I would personally like to see BMW Sauber find that 1-2tenths they are lacking over Ferrari and for Kubica to stay and show he is the best driver in F1(as many of us already know anyway)
  • To be honest I don't know but it's bloody lovely to see a Finnish name sticking out amongst all the yank teenage angst that is YA,

    (I'm English but a bit of a Finland obsessive).
  • By the end of 2009 so much could have changed because of the new aero packages etc Honda could be at the front, Red Bull and Renault could be doing well too.

    With regards to replacing Kimi in 2009, my money would be on Vettel.
  • I think McLaren will keep Heikki. He's been doing well, and I say that without comparing him to any one else. He's a very good driver to have, because he can adapt and is willing to learn. Plus he is an easygoing teammate, he doesn't cause problems and he is actually very talented.

    Kubica could be heading to Ferrari. Either way, he will do very well. He's a very excellent driver and his debut year itself was already impressive. Kimi may be retiring, but he hasn't confirmed anything yet or decided yet. I think he might stay at Ferrari though, who knows. If he still has a contract with them. Alonso... Ferrari already said they wouldn't sign him on but things could change.

    And what you said: "yeah I couldn't see Kubica racing for Ferrari personally", true, but he definitely has got what it takes. I am pretty sure BMW has a very tight grip on him...
  • I think Heikki is the perfect teammate for Lewis. He's good enough to contribute to the overall points scoring for the team but doesn't really pose a big threat to Lewis which is what they really want. He should stay at Mclaren for another year or two and bring all that experience to another team that will fully appreciate him.
  • No comments: